Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Just breathe...

I'm a fair-weather runner. I SO look forward to spring, because I get to start running again with regularity (and without my forehead/brain/lungs/fingers freezing). The sporadic running in the winter isn't enough to keep me in shape for my preferred long distances. It takes a couple of weeks to get my body worked back up to running the 6-10 miles I aim for on most days in the summer/early fall.
I love running long distances. It makes me feel strong and accomplished. Those miles can be tough to get through, though...especially with my wandering mind. In order to do well and finish strong, I have to keep myself from drifting too far into the beat of music, or fretting too much over the problems I'm currently facing. I have to talk my body through it..."stand up taller...shoulders back...head up...steady breathing, in two, out two..." or else I find myself slouching and panting.

During another contemplative swinging session on the playground today (what is it about swinging that puts my mind in the "deep thoughts" mode?), I was considering the parallel between the successful completion of a long run and the successful completion of a really tough day. I'm finding that in my most difficult moments, it helps a bit when I set my focus on the basics..."stand up taller...shoulders back...head up...steady breathing, in and out..."
Just a thought...

1 comment:

CMLanctot said...

I'm so there with you! I'm a horrible fair weather runner, too. Plus, it gets REALLY cold here, so my outdoorsie stuff won't start for another month still. I'm just pinging waiting for it to warm up enough to hit the pavement.